Re: RE AO-27

On 05-22 10:37pm CDT, the following was written:

> On the noon pass, the max elevation was 13 degrees so I didn't have much hope
> of hearing it but I did have some success including a call from Hawaii.... I
> think....lots of noise from being just outside of the Phoenix metro area.

It does take some practice but I work passes of 10 degrees and less with
just my whip antenna. Granted, it's just a short window of opportunity for
me on the low passes, but it is possible. By the way, I'm using a MFJ-1717S
on a FT50R.

> Question:  I am using a Yaesu VX-5 HT.  The smallest VFO synthesizer step
> that the radio will support is 5 khz.  How does this compare to other HT's?

That's all my FT50 will do, it works quite well! Good luck working AO-27, I
really look forward to it every morning.... but darn it had to miss it today
:(

73 Jeff W4JEF

    *--------- Jeff Johns W4JEF - AMSAT# 32615 - QRP-L# 1857 ----------*
    |jeffj@scott.net  w4jef@amsat.org |     Reserve Patrol Captain     |
    |  Satellite: Mir R0MIR-1, AO-27  | Jefferson County Sheriff's Dept|
    |200LX+BayPac+FT50=Portable Packet|     QTH Birmingham, AL USA     |
    *------------ Finger jeffj@scott.net for my PGP RSA key -----------*

Goin' Postal - HP 100/200LX (v3.06beta) REGISTERED