Re: Getting P3D out of the US

Hi Terry:

Among other things, you said via amsat-bb:

>Since P3D isn't likely to be going anywhere ever why even bother shipping
>it around? Stick it in mothballs or donate it to a space museum, In the
>meantime we can all save money and amsat can focus on projects that
>are lower cost and more realistic for available airframe payloads.
>
>It seems to me that P3D has been a huge drain on limited Amsat resources,
>lets cut our losses and get back to a more realistic platform of
>smaller, cheaper satellites that can be launched on any vehicle.
>
>A good friend of mine made the comment about the P3D model fund-raiser,
>"Better buy it, it's as close as P3D is ever going to get for you"
>
>I hope he is wrong!

Hey Folks! Over the past week, we have had some fantastic formal news about
launch opportunities for Phase 3D.  Let's not jeopardize this opportunity by
discussing "what-if scenarios" on amsat-bb. This echo is read by lots of
non-AMSAT folks associated with making decisions on our launch opportunity
and I dare say that their access to this type of talk doesn't help our
position. In fact, it may allow you to achieve your wish for placing Phase
3D in a museum.

Rather, may I strongly suggest comments regarding current and/or future
AMSAT efforts should be forwarded to one of the AMSAT Strategy team members.
Currently these folks are in the middle of a very tough task of trying to
chart AMSAT's course for the next five years. They are looking for member
info and comments on what we should be doing.  Please transmit and not
broadcast!

For a list of Strategy Team members, see page 28 of the March/April issue of
The AMSAT Journal.

73,

Russ Tillman, K5NRK
AMSAT Journal Editor and Strategy Team Member