Icom Preamp Problem

I just installed an older, but never used Icom AG-25 2m. preamp.  The preamp
works great, but when I transmit CW thru it I only hear a slight chirp on the
downlink when I let go of the paddles.  As soon as I totally disengage the
preamp (front panel switch on the Icom 820) the downlink is crystal clear.
The rig superimposes DC on the coax when in receive mode and then it cuts off
on transmit to bypass the preamp.  Rig? Preamp? Any help would be
appreciated...

73' s

Dan - WA2BTR

**By the way, an Icom AG-35 (430 Mhz) that I installed at the same time works
like a charm!