SUNSAT PAL Images received

For your information:

We are happy to announce that for the third consecutive day we have now
received
images from the PAL TV imager on SUNSAT.  This commercial grade TV camera
is connected via a MUX to the S band transmitter and the images have been
received
at the Overberg Test Range and today also with the SUNSAT ground station.
The
signal strength of the S band transmitter is constant over the pass and the
images
of oceans with some clouds and today of South Africa marks a milestone in
the
commissioning of SUNSAT.  The image covers an angle below the satellite of
90 degrees and two of the antennas is visible on the image.  On the ground
directly below the satellite it covers width of 450km.  The image is three
color
and the colors are bright and vibrant.

The congratulations goes to our ground station engineers and lecturers who
committed to achieving this milestone.

SUNSAT Micro satellite Launched:  23 February 1999

SUNSAT on the web: http://sunsat.ee.sun.ac.za
ESL on the web: http://esl.ee.sun.ac.za

24 Feb: switch telemetry transmitter on and hear first signals
25 Feb: record and analyse first telemetry
26 Feb: more telemetry, first switch on of OBC1, 'I'm alive'
27 Feb:  boom deployment, more telemetry,
28 Feb:  upload first diary to OBC1 to initiate 10 min interval diary,
downloaded in the USA
1 Mar: restart OBC1, upload diary to do WOD file over 70 min
3 Mar: backup telecommand path verified
4 Mar: y-axis torque coil working,  estimators switched on
5 Mar: estimators switched on, reliable communication day and night
6 Mar: SUNSAT attitude is stabilised and pointing to the earth
PHASE I COMMISSIONING COMPLETE - JJDP
14 Mar: SUNSAT is voice repeater and 38 radio amateurs
use it to talk to each other
21 Mar: SUNSAT Reaction wheels used to rotate satellite,
FIRST TIME FOR A GRAVITY GRADIENT SATELLITE
24 Mar: NASA JPL GPS receiver switched on
25 Mar: Successful 128kbyte code upload for ADCS and
filters are converging
5 Apr: Calibration of ADCS actuators
12 Apr: Successful testing of software upload for OBC1
14 Apr: Successful rotation of imager tube
15 Apr: Groundstation repairs due to rain damage begin
21 Apr: First star mapper image downloaded and first imager
sensor test indicates all is functioning well
22 Apr: OBC software successfully uploaded
11 May: First images from the PAL TV imager on SUNSAT
13 May: First images with the PAL TV imager of South Africa

SUNSAT Micro satellite Launch Attempts:
14/1(T-4min), 15(T-8min),  20, 21, 22, 26, 27(T-4min), 28 (T+13 sec),
7/2(T-4min), 12(T-4min), 13(T-4min), 23!!! February 1999