Re: [sarex] Monitoring the skies

Hey Will,

A couple things.  Check out the Office of Radio Frequency Management:
http://www.orfm.noaa.gov/.  If hams think they are the only ones
protecting their turf, and worried about commercial interests
encroaching on spectrum, this site is a real eye opener.

http://rtpnet.org/~wxsat/wxrx.htm  Is a good primer for weather sats,
including the frequencies.  Hopefully this site will convince you your
unity gain discone will NOT be adequate.  There are several sites
dealing with the quadrifilar antenna, which would be a better choice for
your needs.  The good news is you don't have to buy one; you can build
your own.  The best site I've seen for this is:
http://www.personal.u-net.com/~pilotltd/qha.htm.

Also, no slight to this excellent reflector, but you may be better
served by subscribing to the amsat-bb reflector, and lurking on the
rec.radio.amateur.space newsgroup (after the CW debate grinds down :-)
).

73, and good luck!

Mike

--