AMSAT at Dayton Hamvention

he Dayton Hamvention is quickly approaching (May 14-16) and we're looking
for volunteers to help man the AMSAT booth at the Hamvention. Dayton is a
three day 'marathon' with an immense amount of activity at the booth. We
need folks to volunteer for a 'tour of duty' during a portion of the
Hamvention.

We'll be in the same booth location as previous years: Booth spaces 445-448.
Volunteers will help handle the myriad of activities that typically occur at
an AMSAT booth-handle transactions, deal with memberships and renewals,
answer questions, and serve as a representative of AMSAT. Prior experience
in representing AMSAT at (any) hamfests is helpful but not required.

We expect to have a very busy booth this year with a variety of updated and
new items:

1. Steve Thompson, W5PK, has created glossy cardstock Phase 3-D model kits,
which will be available at Dayton.  We'll have two assembled models on
display.  Donations go to the AMSAT Phase 3-D Fund.
2. An updated laminated AMSAT Frequency Guide with the latest satellite
information will be offered
3. Keith Baker, KB1SF, has updated the "How to Use the Amateur Radio
Satellites."
4. An updated "Amateur Satellite Resource Guide" (thanks to N1JEZ) will be
available at the Beginner's Forum (0815 Saturday)
5. An updated "Working the Easy Sats" (thanks to N1JEZ) will also be
available at Dayton.
6. The latest in AMSAT 'fashion' featuring a golf shirt with embroidered
30th Anniversary design
7. Special AMSAT 30th Anniversary patches and T-shirts
8. Once again, AMSAT will offer the 'Arrow Antenna" at the booth this year.
Please note that AMSAT will be handling this antenna at Hamvention ONLY and
it will not be available from AMSAT following Hamvention. This is the
antenna that many individuals are using to work through AO-27 utilizing
their dual-band HT's. We will have the newly designed 'split boom' version
(longest boom piece is only 22") with 10-watt duplexer.
9. Latest version of WISP on diskette
10.  AMSAT will be the only distributor of NOVA at Hamvention this year as
Northern Lights Software will not be present.  Software is on CD-ROM.
11.  For the Mac enthusiasts, we will have a demonstration of MacDoppler
functioning on a I-MAC computer.  The demo will include control of  an az/el
rotor in the booth during simulated passes.  Don Agro, author of MacDoppler
will be available to answer questions.
12. For the PC user, the Kansas City Tracker will also be available.
13. All of the AMSAT publications will be available

Please let me know if you can give us a hand during the Hamvention. Send me
an e-mail and let me know:

1. What hours are your willing to volunteer (Please volunteer for one hour
periods or multiples thereof) during each day that the commercial exhibits
are open. The commercial exhibits are open Friday 1000-1800, Saturday
0800-1700, and Sunday 0800-1300. If you can help at various times during the
Hamvention, please provide a prioritization as to which specified periods
are best for you.

2. Include your name, callsign, and e-mail address in your message.

3. Indicate any special skills that would be helpful, such as familiarity
with specific products available through AMSAT, particularly software such
as WISP and NOVA. While we are looking for volunteers to help with the
'crush' of normal exhibitor activities, it would be helpful to know who can
assist in software demonstrations or answer particular questions about
various aspects of our hobby during a particular shift.

4. If you have already sent me an e-mail offering to volunteer, please
respond by e-mail to this request by specifying the times that you are
available to work.

I intend to provide a tentative work schedule no later than May 10 to those
who have indicated a willingness to help. Please stop by the AMSAT booth
when you arrive at the Hamvention to confirm your schedule or to change your
work assignment if necessary.

Other Dayton items to keep in mind:

1. Don't forget the AMSAT dinner on Friday evening, 14 MAY, at the Amber
Rose Restaurant in old North Dayton, which is the same place as last year.
Cost including tax and tip is $20.00. Seating is limited, so please register
with Gerd Schrick, WB8IFM.   His e-Mail address is wb8ifm@amsat.org.  We
also ask that you RECONFIRM you dinner reservation at the AMSAT booth no
later than 3:00pm on Friday afternoon. This process will ensure that AMSAT
can provide an accurate 'head count' to the restaurant.

Directions to the restaurant will be available at the AMSAT booth.  For
GPS/APRS users, the restaurant's location in degrees/decimal minutes is:
N 39 46.915
W 084 9.557

Maidenhead Grid Square EM79ws

2.  A reminder that the commercial exhibit area opens at 1000 on Friday
versus 1200 in previous years.  As noted earlier, Commercial Exhibit hours
are 1000-1800 Friday, 0800-1700 Saturday, and 0800-1300 on Sunday.

3. AMSAT's block of rooms at the Homewood Suites, Fairborn has already been
assigned.    You can contact the hotel directly to see if there are rooms
left. Their number is 937-429-0600. Alternatively, you can try the Fairfield
Inn (next door to Homewood Suites) 937-427-0800.

4. AMSAT will be involved with the following scheduled presentations on
Saturday morning:

Saturday, May 15, 1999:

0815-1030
AMSAT.........(Room 3)
Moderator: Robin Haighton, VE3FRH Executive Vice President, AMSAT-North
America

"Welcome"
Keith Baker, KB1SF, President, AMSAT-NA

"Getting Started on the Amateur Radio Satellites"
Barry Baines, WD4ASW, AMSAT-NA Vice President, Field Operations

"PHASE 3-D--Spacecraft Status and Launch Prospects "
Dr. Karl Meinzer, DJ4ZC, President, AMSAT-Germany and P3-D Project
Leader
Keith Baker, KB1SF, President, AMSAT-North America
Lou McFadin, W5DID, Phase 3-D Integration Laboratory Manager

"SAREX and the International Space Station: Mission Reports and Plans"
Roy Neal, K6DUE, Chairman, SAREX Working Group
Frank Bauer, KA3HDO, AMSAT-NA Vice President, Human Spaceflight
Programs
Matt Bordelon, KC5BTL, SAREX/ISS Principal Investigator
Rosalie White, WA1STO, Director, ARRL Educational Activities
Department.

Please note that the AMSAT Forum is in the main Exhibit Area and ***not***
offsite.  The 2:15 forum promises to cover a number of areas of interest to
the amateur community.

Dayton is a unique opportunity to represent AMSAT to an extremely large
number of people. If at all possible, please consider giving us a hand
during this event.

Barry A. Baines
WD4ASW
VP-Field Ops