Re: Re: Inquiry

At 02:26 PM 4/26/99 , GPersons wrote:
>"NO GROUNDING IN PASSENGER COMPARTMENT."
>Can anybody suggest why they would want to not ground in the passenger
>compartment? On a vehicle, it would seem to me that a ground is a ground.

Well I suspect that they fear high currents (RF or DC) which would produce
voltage drops, and make other systems malfunction.  I don't think it's
correct to think that "a ground is a ground".  In particular, the various
pieces of the passenger compartment (especially around the dash) in a
modern car may be connected together in a complex way, involving plastic
parts, things that look like wood screws etc.  Some pieces look like metal,
but are really plated plastic.  Sometimes there aren't even any
screws.  Sometimes the pieces snap together.  It ain't the construction of
your daddy's car.  A high R in the ground path turns into a voltage drop
when current flows thru.

In addition, there's usually an engine control computer under the dash
somewhere.  These things often have analog inputs which could easily be
disrupted by some voltage drops in the ground system.  It ain't the engine
control system of your daddy's car either.