CQ PSK31 on OSCAR 10

at 0330 UTC on 23 April, I wrote:

>I have just hooked my computer and sound card into my satellite radio setup
>and made a couple of test PSK31 transmissions on OSCAR 10.  The PSK31
>signals are nicely audible on the downlink, and the bird is remarkably
>steady at near apogee.

There were no PSK responses to my PSK31 calls on the OSCAR 10 satellite, 23
April, every half hour, 0330 - 0630 UTC.  I did get several CW QSOs out of
the deal.  :-)

However, I'm encouraged by the sound of my own downlink, which sounds no
worse than HF conditions under which I copied PSK31 signals well enough for
a conversational QSO.  I would encourage any one who has both PSK and OSCAR
satellite capability to hook the two up and give OSCAR 10 a try.

If you can get on PSK31 on OSCAR 10 in the next couple of days, let me know
and we can arrange a contact.  Because CW and phone ops hang out on 145.890
- 145.910 and may mistake PSK for a "spotting" carrier, I'm going to go
lower in frequency.  I think 145.880 would be about right, *lower* if
there's QRM.  Keep AFC on and NET off.

The doppler shift is lowest in the 2 hours preceding and following apogee
(4.5 Hz per minute or less), going down to almost nothing at apogee (~0250
Z on 24 April) It also appears that the satellite is at its most favorable
angle to earth around these same hours.  But any time from 2300 Z 23 Apr to
0630 Z 24 Apr is possible.

73 from Peter, KD7MW

--- Peter