Re: Sputnik-99 launch cancelled by Swatch! (fwd)

Rob Carlson wrote:

> Sputnik-99 launch cancelled by Swatch!
>
> Thanks to the protests of my fellow radio amateurs worldwide, Swatch has
> cancelled the mission to use the frequency of 145.815 to advertise their
> trademarks from space!

And we amateurs are still screwed because what would have been RS-19 is
still aboard Mir, batteryless.  If new batteries are ever flow up to
Mir, it's still useless for Amateur use because of the ten advertising
messages stored in its ROMS.  We've been cheated out of one amateur
satellite.

I think Swatch owes us a launch to LEO.  Depending on the contracts that
were signed, the French amateur club that built it might have a legal
case.  Given the high cost of a launch, there might even be enough money
involved to interest an attorney.

I also wonder if anybody will ever trust an amateur satellite to the
Russian space authorities again.

N9LTD