Swatch Web Site Announcement

>From the www.swatch.com web site
----------------------------------
Spasiba Swatch.

On April 16th, the Russian Space Program and Swatch were to launch the
satellite "beatnik" in orbit with the capability of sending voice and text
messages from people all around the world.

Unfortunately, the Russian transmission "Gelios", a key link with the MIR
space station, was severely damaged a few days ago.This has created a
situation of uncertainty and made communications to the MIR problematic.

Swatch has decided to donate the batteries supporting the beatnik satellite
to the MIR cosmonauts who will be using them to run the printer onboard
which is the lifeline to earth through which the cosmonauts receive their
daily instructions and key operations points.

To thank Swatch for this gesture, we have decided to publish the messages
that had been recorded in the beatnik memories and that we are now not able
to transmit on the radio waves.

The first Russian satellite "Sputnik" has a special place in the hearts and
memories of the Russian people.The gesture of Beatnik has made Swatch
special too.
G. Beat
W9GB

"Once you have flown, you will walk the earth with
your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been,
there you long to return." -- Leonardo da Vinci