Beatnik dies an ugly death

According to the Swatch site, the launch of the Beatnik satellite will
not take place.  It seems they found an honorable way out of an ugly
situation.  Here is an excerpt from the http://www.swatch.com site.

73, Mike

Spasiba Swatch.

On April 16th, the Russian Space Program and Swatch were to launch the
satellite "beatnik"
in orbit with the capability of sending voice and text messages from
people all around the
world.

Unfortunately, the Russian transmission "Gelios", a key link with the
MIR space station, was
severely damaged a few days ago.This has created a situation of
uncertainty and made
communications to the MIR problematic.

Swatch has decided to donate the batteries supporting the beatnik
satellite to the MIR
cosmonauts who will be using them to run the printer onboard which is
the lifeline to earth
through which the cosmonauts receive their daily instructions and key
operations points.

To thank Swatch for this gesture, we have decided to publish the
messages that had been
recorded in the beatnik memories and that we are now not able to
transmit on the radio
waves.

The first Russian satellite "Sputnik" has a special place in the hearts
and memories of the
Russian people.The gesture of Beatnik has made Swatch special too.

--
                                       __\/__
                                  .oooO   (   )
                                    \_)