Re: [Fwd: BULLETIN: STD WEB SERVER PROBLEMS AND A NEW INTERNET ADDRESS]

Internet 101:

If you are interested in learning how to verify (ping) an Internet
address, read on.  If not, well sorry for the bandwidth, but I thought
there was a learning experience here, since this has been coming up so
often on this reflector.

This fellow tells us his new Internet address is 142.66.3.102.  It is
easy to determine WHEN their new server is operational.  There is a
utility, called ping, shipped with all versions of WIN95 and WIN98.  Go
to a DOS prompt.  The easiest way is START/RUN/command/<Enter>  (type
the word command, and press <Enter>)  This will load a copy of the
command processor, and greet you with a DOS prompt.  Type   ping
142.66.3.102  and press <Enter>.  Your screen should look something like
this:

C:\WINDOWS\DESKTOP>ping 142.66.3.102

Pinging 142.66.3.102 with 32 bytes of data:

Destination host unreachable.
Destination host unreachable.
Destination host unreachable.
Destination host unreachable.

Ping statistics for 142.66.3.102:
    Minimum = 0ms, Maximum =  0ms, Average =  0ms

C:\WINDOWS\DESKTOP>exit
Make sure you type the word    exit   and press <Enter> when you're
done.  This will close the DOS window, and release the memory used by
the process.

As you can see, the IP address he gave us is still not valid.  You can
check any IP address through this method.  You are pinging the address.
Likewise, you can determine the IP address of a site just by knowing the
URL.  Just enter    ping www.domain.name.page   (i.e. ping
www.amsat.org).  This will show you the IP address associated with any
URL (Universal Resource Locator).

It might be helpful to know that when you type an Internet address, like
http://www.amsat.org,  the first thing that happens is you are routed to
a lookup server, where the domain name is replaced by an IP address.
Watch the bottom line of your browser the next time you select a web
address.  If you edit your bookmark to point to that particular IP
address, you will save a step, and load the page faster.  Or, you can
just type the IP address at the Netsite input line.

The fellow's comment at the end of his post is not entirely accurate.
As I just taught you, you don't need the Domain Name Server; you can use
the "raw" IP address to navigate to a page.  And, as our example shows,
the site is still down, it's not a snafu at your ISP's lookup site!
Just type the IP address instead of the URL at the Netsite input line.

The IP address for www.amsat.org is    128.54.16.15   Try it!

73, Mike

--
                                       __\/__