Re: AO-27 and camping trip

A Peace River canoe DXpedition update...

Today, I heard a very young Courtney saying hello to a station many
hundreds of miles away in the State of Iowa via Mike's portable
satellite station.  For those of you who didn't see the original message
concerning the outing, this occurred while on a 3 day canoe trip in
southern Florida (EL97).  (My recollection is that the Q was with Brook
- N8OCX around 1610z).  What a thrill this has had to have been for her
and the other kids on the trip.  I know that I was thrilled for 'em just
listening to it.  :-)  My guess is that Brook probably had a warm
feeling also.

Mike continues to introduce Satellite operation to our young people
which I personally feel is very admirable.  As you know, it wasn't that
long ago that Mike did a sat demo from a classroom of one of the local
schools near his home.  Many of us worked 'em and later sent letters as
well as our QSL cards to the school for the kids to view.  Too bad there
aren't more KF4FDJ's around to foster this exciting and fascinating
facet of the Amateur Radio hobby to our young people (I know I need to
certainly do more in that regard here in my area).  GREAT JOB MIKE!!  We
wish you and the kids a safe return from the trip down the Peace River.

One last thing....I know Mike appreciated those of you who were standing
by on the bird while QSOs (such as the one I heard with Courtney &
Brook) could take place.  "Yes" there's still courtesy in Amateur Radio.

73,
//Garie  *K8KFJ*
AMSAT #32574