Re: (Fwd) Well, Maybe One More!

At 05:56 PM 4/5/99 -0400, Tim wrote:
>AMSAT and the AMSAT logo are registered trademarks of the Radio Amateur
>Satellite Corporation. Which makes me wonder, is AMSAT a non-profit organization?

Yes it is.  Having trademarks doesn't have anything to do
with being non-profit or not.

>The  ARRL is a publishing company, they are not non-profit,

Yes, they are.  See the masthead on page 8 of any issue of QST.

Both organizations are also exempt under 501(c)(3), which
means that donations are probable tax-deductible in the US.
This is what most people here probably really mean when
they say "non-profit".

None of which has anything to do with the question.
Non-profit organizations don't get any special privileges
on the amateur radio bands.

73  -Paul
kb5mu@amsat.org
As usual, speaking for myself only.