Re: Swatch, etc.

Laura,
 I too have no problem with working with commercial concerns when
their interests and ours are the same. The problem I see with this
is that it is *very* thinly disguised advertising for the company
involed, and that advertisement is *all* that they're interested in.
Now, if Swatch was sponsoring the satellite because it wanted to
pick up the tab for a humanitarian effort (like helping in communication
efforts in relief situations), I could see us working with them very
easily. That, however, ain't the case. Worse, it's going to be a
non-ham interest that decides what messages get put on the satellite,
and when they're transmitted (or so I understand), which *does* raise
some interesting questions about control of the transmitting station,
which falls under the ITU regulations all of us live by.
If Swatch wants to sponsor a satellite, I'd be willing to let them slap
their corporate logo all over any non-essential surface(s) on any
satellite they choose to back, and show tape of it and it's launch
until the cows come home. I do, however, draw the line at handing them
control of what goes out over that satellite.....

Later,
Andy Reynolds
WD9IYT