Re: MIR

On Sun, 4 Apr 1999 21:03:36 -5, "Bruce Paige" <kk5do@AMSAT.Org> wrote:

> hmmmm...is the near close for the mir now?

Probably, but it sure has been fun, huh? I hope the ISS provides us all just
as much enjoyment and educational opportunities as Mir has. I can't count
the number of times I have been able to connect to Mir with just an HT with
a gain whip antenna and a Palmtop PC and totally amaze and enchant hams whom
have never realized how easy and inexpensive amateur space communications
could be. I don't have 'big bucks' to spend on fancy space communication
systems and because of this the birds I can work are somewhat limited, but
I'll never forget the thrill of when I had a messaged translated into
Russian, entered it onto the PMS and the next day the crew had actually
responded. My friend translated the short message  and the crew was
basically thanking me for the note and wishing me good fortune. Granted, it
may not mean much to some, but the fact that I was able to communicate with
a cosmonaut was an extremely highpoint in my life.... well actually one of
the highest and I was able to do it with just an HT. Those amateurs that are
scared to try satellite operations just don't know the fun they are missing!
Viva Mir!

73 Jeff W4JEF

    *--------- Jeff Johns W4JEF - AMSAT# 32615 - QRP-L# 1857 ----------*
    |jeffj@scott.net  w4jef@amsat.org |     Reserve Patrol Captain     |
    |  Satellite: Mir R0MIR-1, AO-27  | Jefferson County Sheriff's Dept|
    |200LX+BayPac+FT50=Portable Packet|     QTH Birmingham, AL USA     |