From: Larry Sack <LSack@ljbgroup.com>
To: amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org <amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org>
Date: Wednesday, March 31, 1999 11:46 AM
Subject: [amsat-bb] Just Starting

>I am looking into amateur satellites and would like your feed back on my
plans.

>I live near Dayton, Ohio (home of the Dayton Hamvention) and have a place
in the country that is very, very flat and nearly treeless. Sounds ideal
except that what trees that do exist for a half mile in any direction are
right next to my antenna location.

>I am considering getting into weather satellites initially to learn to
track and receive satellite telemetry. I'd probably use a homemade crossed
dipole system. Eventually, when the dollars are piled sufficiently high, I
plan to add an az-el antenna system and full satellite optimized
transciever.

>How can I get into weather satellites cheaply? (I have plenty of computer
horsepower available).

>Any plans for the crossed dipole available?
>
>What are your recommendations for tracking and imagry programs given where
I plan to go?

!