Just Starting

I am looking into amateur satellites and would like your feed back on my plans.

I live near Dayton, Ohio (home of the Dayton Hamvention) and have a place in the country that is very, very flat and nearly treeless. Sounds ideal except that what trees that do exist for a half mile in any direction are right next to my antenna location.

I am considering getting into weather satellites initially to learn to track and receive satellite telemetry. I'd probably use a homemade crossed dipole system. Eventually, when the dollars are piled sufficiently high, I plan to add an az-el antenna system and full satellite optimized transciever.

How can I get into weather satellites cheaply? (I have plenty of computer horsepower available).

Any plans for the crossed dipole available?

What are your recommendations for tracking and imagry programs given where I plan to go?

Any other advice?

Thanks for your responses!!

Larry Sack, N8QNM
Dayton, Ohio