Re: AO-27 and MIR on an HT?

In a message dated 99-03-18 23:12:39 EST, K5OE writes:

> If you want to work AO-27 on an HT, I recommend you sneak out of work for
> 15 minutes on Wednesday morning.  Don't ruin your Saturday standing out
>  in the yard with an HT when your chances of success are greatly diminished.

I agree with Jerry that during the weekend it can be a real mess especially
when the footprint is over the whole US. I would like to add that one other
factor to success can be your geographical location. I'm located in Vermont.
We see AO-27 first as it comes out of the north. Even on a weekend, there are
usually only a handfull on for the first few minutes after AOS. We also get
some good shots at western Europe.

Don't give up trying. However remember that like any satellite you are trying
to operate, receive is everything! If you can't hear it, all you're doing is
generating potential QRM when you transmit.

73,
Mike, N1JEZ
AMSAT #29649
"A closed mouth gathers no feet."