Re: AO-27 and MIR on an HT?

On Thu, 18 Mar 1999 21:00:12 EST, JDWalkerJr@aol.com wrote:

> Has anyone compared the Arrow handheld yagi with a quarter wave whip.  I'm
> wondering if the performance difference is really significant.  I saw a
> demonstration of AO27 in Orlando last year and didn't observe the yagi did any
> better than my whip.  I've held off buying the antenna worried over whether it
> was worth the difference.

Just do what I did and buy the whip first and see how you like it. I paid
about $15 for the MFJ1715S. It works for me, I'm sure it's no comparison to
the Arrow, but it is functional. I do plan to upgrade to an Arrow, it's just
not finacially feasible for me to do so right now. The advantage of the whip
is that it's a lot more portable, although there is a new collapsible boom
for the Arrow. Just my two cents worth... everyday is a learning experience
for me <grin>.

73 Jeff

    *--------- Jeff Johns W4JEF - AMSAT# 32615 - QRP-L# 1857 ----------*
    |jeffj@scott.net  w4jef@amsat.org |     Reserve Patrol Captain     |
    |  Satellite: Mir R0MIR-1, AO-27  | Jefferson County Sheriff's Dept|
    |200LX+BayPac+FT50=Portable Packet|     QTH Birmingham, AL USA     |