Re: AO-27 and MIR on an HT?

In a message dated 3/18/99 6:30:20 PM Eastern Standard Time,
kohlwey@xmission.com writes:

> If you take your HT away from the cities (RF noise centers), add a preamp,
> and
>  use a 4 or more element yagi which you point and twist to peak the signal
> you
>  will have full quieting signal as long as the satellite is line of sight.

Has anyone compared the Arrow handheld yagi with a quarter wave whip.  I'm
wondering if the performance difference is really significant.  I saw a
demonstration of AO27 in Orlando last year and didn't observe the yagi did any
better than my whip.  I've held off buying the antenna worried over whether it
was worth the difference.

Jimmy Walker
WA4ILO
Macon, GA