Re: AO-27 and MIR on an HT?

On Thu, 18 Mar 1999 12:04:15 -0700, Randolph Kohlwey <kohlwey@xmission.com> wrote:

> Working AO-27 with a rubber duck is not easy!

Hiya Randy! It's not the hardest thing in the world to do, it just takes a
bit of practice.

> Those who do work AO-27 with a HT and a rubber duck only can work a small
> part of the pass. Most also use a longer (approx 17") duck.

On a 'good' 15 minute pass, I can usually get into and/or hear the bird for
about 9 or 10 minutes out of the 15. I use the MFJ-1715S on a Yaesu FT50.

> Be sure you are hearing people talking on the bird before you transmit.  A
> new article about working AO-27 just appeared in a Ham Mag.  A lot of new
> people are now trying to work the bird and are just QRM'ing it since they
> can not hear it!  People try to call back to them but then give up and
> start to ignore anyone calling CQ.

Yup.... I heard the CQ'ing yesterday and today the gentleman wasn't calling
CQ but giving out his call, many were calling him, but the poor sould
apparently couldn't hear us. I have to admit, that with my whip antenna and
the associated background noise, that sometimes I can't always copy the
calls either, but that is the downside to a small antenna as compared to the
Arrow.

73 es gl de Jeff W4JEF

    *--------- Jeff Johns W4JEF - AMSAT# 32615 - QRP-L# 1857 ----------*
    |jeffj@scott.net  w4jef@amsat.org |     Reserve Patrol Captain     |
    |  Satellite: Mir R0MIR-1, AO-27  | Jefferson County Sheriff's Dept|
    |200LX+BayPac+FT50=Portable Packet|     QTH Birmingham, AL USA     |