Re: KO25 Question

At 12:45 PM 3/18/1999 -0600, you wrote:
>I have been trying to download messages from KO25 and I don't think that I
>am even hearing the packet burst. I am using a Kenwood THD7A with an Arrow
>satellite antenna. I track the bird with Nova. The frequency I am using for
>the downlink is 436.500.
>Am I correct in assuming that even with the TNC in my radio turned off, I
>should still hear the 9600 baud packet burst.
>What am I doing wrong? Why am I not hearing the packet burst? Do I need a
>preamp?

I'm not sure what you mean by "hear the packet burst."  Unlike 1200 baud
AFSK or PSK, you can't "hear" 9600 baud FSK.  It sounds like carrier only.
The only thing you hear from the satellite (or from your uplink) is
"silence" (as opposed to normal background noise on FM), and a reading on
your S-meter...that's it.  The satellite transmitter is on continuously,
you'll hear a decrease in background noise, ie. silence, as you sweep over
the downlink.

Good luck!!

BTW:  There was another posting to the AMSAT-BB (I believe from someone
else) in the last day about not getting a downlink with WISP on KO-23.
KO-23 is currently nonfunctional.  TO-31, UO-22, and KO-25 are currently
functional for 9600 baud.