KO25 Question

I have been trying to download messages from KO25 and I don't think that I
am even hearing the packet burst. I am using a Kenwood THD7A with an Arrow
satellite antenna. I track the bird with Nova. The frequency I am using for
the downlink is 436.500.
Am I correct in assuming that even with the TNC in my radio turned off, I
should still hear the 9600 baud packet burst.
What am I doing wrong? Why am I not hearing the packet burst? Do I need a
preamp?

Thanks in advance!

73

Gary