rotor control question

Good morning to the BBS.
   I'm afraid I'm not a programer or even a real good technician but
a question about rotor interfaces keeps popping into my head.
   How hard would it be to build an interface for rotor control
using a "basic stamp" approach?
   From the little I've read they come with A>D, D>A, I/O all on one
chip basically.   Could one be set up to read just the numerical
output of some of the current tracking programs?  Then read a A>D
line from the meter of the rotor control  and command the output of
the appropriate line to enable the up / down, left / right lines for
relay control of the rotor?
   I haven't read too much about the various interfaces and don't
remember if any of them use this type of controller or not.
One would think it might be the cheapest way to create an easily
re-producable interface, but with my back ground it's only a guess.
   I'd be interested in hearing from anyone's who's attempted
something like this.
     Thanks, Mike  KA7HBB