March 13 meeting directions - one more time....

Several people have asked for directions to the Amsat 30th
birthday at NASA Goddard Space Flight Center on March 13:

>From downtown Washington, DC:

Take the Baltimore-Washington Parkway (Route 295) north to
Greenbelt Road (Route 193). The exit ramp curves around 180
degrees, at the end of the ramp turn left and drive east on
Greenbelt Road for 1.8 miles. You will pass the Goddard main
gate on the left and a Kmart on the right. Turn left on Soil
Conservation Road and drive north to the first traffic light,
Explorer Road (0.1 mile). Turn left on Explorer Road, drive
about 20 yards, turn left just before reaching the guard
shack. This will be the entrance to the Visitor Center.

>From northbound I-95, Beltway Outer Loop:

Take I-95 to exit 22-A, northbound Baltimore Washington
Parkway. The exit ramp will divide in half, take the right
fork to Greenbelt Road, drive east 1.8 miles and follow
the above instructions.

>From the west (Bethesda, Silver Spring, Rockville):

Take I-495, Beltway Inner Loop, to exit 23. A sign will
indicate "To Greenbelt Road, NASA".  The exit ramp will
merge with southbound Kenilworth Avenue. Immediately after
the merge point, bear to the right and take the ramp to
the top of the hill (do not cross under the bridge). Wait
for the light to change (bring something to read), then
turn left onto Greenbelt Road (route 193) and drive east
for 3.2 miles. Turn left on Soil Conservation Road, drive
north 0.1 mile. Turn left onto Explorer Road, drive about
20 yards west and turn left just before the guard shack.

>From the north (Baltimore):

Take the Baltimore Washington Parkway south to Powder Mill
Road. At the end of the exit ramp, turn left on Powder Mill,
drive under the bridge for 1/4 mile. Turn right onto Soil
Conservation Road just before reaching the traffic signal.
Drive south 2.7 miles to Explorer Road. Turn right on
Explorer Road, drive about 20 yards and turn left just
before reaching the guard shack, this is the entrance to
the Visitor Center.

>From Washington DC via Metro:

Take the Metro Orange Line to New Carrollton station. Exit
the station on the north side of the railroad tracks. The
T15 or T16 bus will take you to the Goddard Visitor Center
(eventually). A taxi will get you there much faster for
about $8 fare.

--------
Talk-in Frequency is 146.835 MHz.

GPS: 38 degrees, 59.568 minutes  North
     76 degrees, 50.823 minutes  West

There is a crude map of the Goddard area at:
http://pao.gsfc.nasa.gov/gsfc/welcome/gsfcmap/gsfcmap.htm

If you are coming to the evening dinner at the employee
recreation center but you are not attending the afternoon
Amsat meeting at the Visitor Center, be advised that the
entrance to the recreation center is also on Explorer Road,
directly across the street from the Visitor Center entrance.
Instead of turning west on Explorer Road, turn east and go
through the guard post. If you are pre-registered, your name
will be on an access list to gain entry to the recreation
center.

Dan Schultz, N8FGV