Re: TNC Question

At 09:41 PM 3/9/99 -0500, you wrote:
>My question:  How do you set the terminal baud rate?
>I downloaded the MFJ manual from their web site, but the dip switch
>settings in there DO NOT WORK.

If that's so, then the previous owner must have made bizarre
modifications to the hardware. Look inside and see if you can
see any evidence of that.

Also, make sure you're using the switches right.  On my unit,
"on" is *down*.  If in doubt, try both ways.

>I'd guess that at some point they changed the algorithm for setting
>terminal baud rate...

The terminal baud rate is set directly by hardware.  That's why
it's a DIP switch.  There's no way software could change that.

If you have the whole manual, you can see this in the schematics.
U1 generates a bunch of baud rate clocks, and the DIP switch
just gates one of those clocks to the serial I/O chip.  Obviously
the rule that only one DIP switch should be "on" makes perfect
sense with this circuit.

73  -Paul
kb5mu@amsat.org