Off-topic - Y2K scam. Beware.

Got this from a friend in Dallas who works for
the phone company.  I know it is off topic,
but if it saves anyone their savings, it was
worth it.  As the Y2K problem is international,
so too could this scam be.  Beware.

Mike.

>SNIP<

Got this from someone at work. The sad part is
there will be people who will fall for this:

I got a call from a man this weekend telling me he
represented my bank and that they were having
difficulty meeting requirements to be computer
ready for Y2K. He said all bank customers would
need to transfer their accounts to a bond account
specially designed to protect our money until
the bank could fully comply with Y2K requirements.
He then said to verify that he was talking to the
proper account person I needed to confirm
information about myself, my account numbers and
then give verbal authorization to transfer funds
to this specially designed account.

I don't trust folks who do this kind of thing so I
asked him which of the banks I use did he represent.
He was not able to do that and hung up at that point.
Please pass this info to friends or family because
this is a huge scam that is going on all across
the country. Some people would be scared to think
they would loose all their money (which he said
was sure to happen if I didn't do this now) and
would supply the information without first
checking this out. I notified the phone company
of the call - since I have caller ID, I could
give them a number but the identifier just said
"out of area". It came from a 248 area code
which is around Detroit. Anyway, just passing
this along so you'd be aware and beware.

Have a good day.

>SNIP<

   Thanks Beverly.

Vy73,  Mike.  KD9KC.  MARS: AAV6EV
kd9kc@whc.net    -    kd9kc@amsat.org
Home  page:   http://www.qsl.net/kd9kc/

"People that are really very weird can get into sensitive positions and have
a tremendous impact on history."
     -- Vice President Dan Quayle