Re: (bad experiences with) WWVB clock time

Hi Franklin.  The time clocks use WWVB which is only 60 KHz.  This
frequency blankets the entire United States with a ground wave.  WWVB's
transmitter was just upgraded and the power was raised about a year ago.
There are wrist watches out that receive WWVB!!  The power is supposed to
be sufficient to make the wrist watches update to a usable signal at least
a few times a day. This frequency should not be effected by atmospherics
or the sunspot cycle like the HF (Megahertz) frequencies of WWV.

I teach earth science and astronomy and love sundials, the equation of
time, etc.  I have been thinking about building an electronic digital
sundial using phototransistors and a BASIC STAMP. Servo motors would turn
the gnomon to determine the azimuth of the sun.  I'll add it to one of the
many projects on my "When Retired" list.

Rick