Re: (bad experiences with) WWVB clock time

> >These are also made by Oregon Scientific.  I bought one at Fry's Electronics
> >in Anaheim, CA  a month or so ago for $30 on sale.
>
> I won one of the Oregon Scientific WWV clocks in a raffle at a convention
> last month.  To my surprise, it is a Most Inaccurate Clock.  When it
> receives a signal, it often jumps to the wrong time.  If I look at it a few
> hours later, it is often off by a different amount of time.
>
> My sundial is more useful.

I have one of the Oregon Scientific "Radio Controlled"
"Projection"  clocks.  I got it as a gift over the holidays,
plugged it in, and it has been right on to the second ever
since. It has never been off once, and according to the
documentation I live in the worst place in the country for
reception.

> WWV clocks have never worked well.  I had one 15 years ago that was also
> flaky.  Most people have trouble with fading or weak signals on the WWV
> frequencies while using a little antenna.  Seems like now that we have so
> many other good ways to get time (internet, GPS, etc), maybe its time to
> just forget about WWV.

I am wondering, based on your post whether there might be
more than one clock that Oregon puts out. The one I got only
checks the WWV signal about 4 times a day, and if it doesn't
get a good signal it doesn't update. Ie it basically has crystal
controlled accuracy updated 4 times a day if and only if it gets
a reliable signal.  Seems like a pretty good system to me.
Better than the internet, and better than the 5 different GPS's
that I have had.  It may not work for some people who have
poor reception, but it works great for me.