Directions to NASA Goddard for Amsat 30th Birthday Party, March 13

Several people have asked for directions to the Amsat 30th birthday
at NASA Goddard Space Flight Center on March 13:

>From downtown Washington, DC:

Take the Baltimore-Washington Parkway (Route 295) north to Greenbelt Road
(Route 193). The exit ramp curves around 180 degrees, at the end of the
ramp turn left and drive east on Greenbelt Road for 1.8 miles. You will
pass the Goddard main gate on the left and a Kmart on the right. Turn
left on Soil Conservation Road and drive north to the first traffic light,
Explorer Road (0.1 mile). Turn left on Explorer Road, drive about 20
yards, turn left just before reaching the guard shack. This will be the
entrance to the Visitor Center.

>From northbound I-95, Beltway Outer Loop:

Take I-95 to exit 22-A, northbound Baltimore Washington Parkway.
The exit ramp will divide in half, take the right fork to Greenbelt
Road, drive east 1.8 miles and follow the above instructions.

>From the west (Bethesda, Silver Spring, Rockville):

Take I-495, Beltway Inner Loop, to exit 23. A sign will indicate
"To Greenbelt Road, NASA".  The exit ramp will merge with southbound
Kenilworth Avenue. Immediately after the merge point, bear to the
right and take the ramp to the top of the hill (do not cross under
the bridge). Wait for the light to change (bring something to read),
then turn left onto Greenbelt Road (route 193) and drive east for
3.2 miles. Turn left on Soil Conservation Road, drive north 0.1 mile.
Turn left onto Explorer Road, drive about 20 yards west and turn left
just before the guard shack.

>From the north (Baltimore):

Take the Baltimore Washington Parkway south to Powder Mill Road. At
the end of the exit ramp, turn left on Powder Mill, drive under the
bridge for 1/4 mile. Turn right onto Soil Conservation Road just
before reaching the traffic signal. Drive south 2.7 miles to Explorer
Road. Turn right on Explorer Road, drive about 20 yards and turn left
just before reaching the guard shack, this is the entrance to the
Visitor Center.

>From Washington DC via Metro:

Take the Metro Orange Line to New Carrollton station. Exit the station
on the north side of the railroad tracks. The T15 or T16 bus will take
you to the Goddard Visitor Center (eventually). A taxi will get you
there much faster for about $8 fare.

--------
Talk-in Frequency is 146.835 MHz.

There is a crude map of the Goddard area at:
http://pao.gsfc.nasa.gov/gsfc/welcome/gsfcmap/gsfcmap.htm

If you are coming to the evening dinner at the employee recreation
center but you are not attending the afternoon Amsat meeting at the
Visitor Center, be advised that the entrance to the recreation center
is also on Explorer Road, directly across the street from the Visitor
Center entrance. Instead of turning west on Explorer Road, turn east
and go through the guard post. If you are pre-registered, your name
will be on an access list to gain entry to the recreation center.

Dan Schultz, N8FGV