Re: Laser Satellite Comms

"Dr Thomas A Clark (W3IWI)" writes:

snip

> Up in Pennsylvania, K3PGP has been
> trying amateur lunar laser ranging and (as I recall) has claimed
> some modest success.

A friend of mine who is "in" to lasers *has* had reflections from the lunar
reflectors. I don't know the power output but AC input ran to about 30 Amps
at 240 volts 50Hz. (He even blows his own glass.) The problem isn't getting
there and back, its accuracy: because the beam width at the lunar surface
is small and you have to fight hard to find the sweet spot.

But he's a spook so I can't go asking him too many questions :))

Mike said:
> Probably would have cut the wing off any
> airliner that flew through the beam anyway.

The (green) laser at the Royal Greenwich Observatory regularly shot down
ducks and geese according to Max White. Fairly close to the approach path
at LGW too ... Hmmmmm

73
Richard W L Limebear G3RWL
g3rwl@amsat.org