Re: MicroWave: 1296 Transverter design advice

> Date:          Fri, 26 Feb 1999 19:08:23 -0800
> To:            Dave Metz <davemetz@muscanet.com>
> From:          Jack Parker <Pparker@mail.greatbasin.net>
> Subject:       Re: MicroWave: 1296 Transverter design advice

> At 08:34 AM 2/26/99 -0800, you wrote:
> >Dear Group,
> >
> > I'm planning to build a transverter for 1296 as my next project and
> > am looking for your recomendations on the design.  I'd like to
> > do something other  then the "no tune" kit.  Its more fun that way.
>
> Ah, a masochist....excellent :>)
>

> Much good information contained in the ARRL UHF/Microwave Experimenters
> Manual and other ARRL publications. Some of the Proceedings of the various
> conferences, especially the Microwave Updates and the Central States
> proceedings contain a wealth of information, but not all have presentations
> pertaining to 23cm. You might also try looking on sone of the web pages,
> like the Northeast Weak Signal Group, where you'll find all sorts of links
> to good pages that may be of value.

I have all of the books you mention, all are excellent.  A study of the liturature
is always helpfull before starting any new endevor.  In other words, don't
reinvent others mistakes!

> It would be interesting to utilize some of the commercially available
> components in a project of this sort...like dbm's and vco's and filters
> from Minicircuits Labs. Al Ward, W5LUA, has some excellent LNA designs,
> again to be found in several of the ARRL publications.

My current designs could be called a monument to Mini-Circuits!
I've found it interesting that no one has mentioned preamps in the replies
I have received.  Any comments out there on what are STABLE designs?

> I'll be interested to learn if you can build a single transverter that'll
> work effectively over the 30MHz bandwidth necessary for both weak-signal
> and satellite operation...keep us posted!

You bring up a very important point.  I have considered two approaches to that
problem.  One is to build two transverters.  One for sat work, the other a portable
unit for weak signal.  If my feed line losses were low enought, I could keep the
P.A. (the costly part) in the shack and use one amp on both transverters.

The other approach is to use a design with tunable filters and two L.O. frequencies.
I could retune the entire unit for the rare times I would use it for weak signal work.
Obviously both approachs have their problems.  This is another issue I would like
to see discussed.

In any case, if P3D flies, we are as a group going to be needing L band uplink
signals.  Maybe now in the lull before the storm these issues should be considered.