Re: 1296 Transverter design advice

> Date:          Thu, 25 Feb 1999 07:51:25 -0500
> From:          "CAPT J. A. Sanford" <reactor@roosevelt.navy.mil>
> To:            davemetz@muscanet.com
> Subject:       Re: [amsat-bb] 1296 Transverter design advice

> Dave:
> some thoughts from a guy who's thought about this a long time, but not
> yet built anything.
>
> There are a multitude of VCO's available cheap.  Use one of them for the
> LO, pick one with the lowest phase noise.  Almost all have output in the
> +7dbm range, so easy to drive a dbm.  Synthesize the LO with one of the
> cheap motorola (& other) PLL chips.  This is a new design, but not too
> hard with currently available hardware.

I've gone a long way down this road for another project.  The brick wall
I ran into was getting the software written for the microcontroller.  I'm not
a software man so I tried depending on others in our club.  The result
is two years have gone by (three programers later) and no software.
Yup, I even got a Motorola development kit, the VCO's, the whole
nine yards.  Unless you can personally write the code. Forget about
the PLL VCO approach.

> For frequency reference, I bought a highly accurate TCXO from Rakon (10
> MHz) that I intend to use as reference for all my microwave stuff.

Excellent idea.  What did it cost?  I have a highly accurate 1Mhz standard
in my service monitor that I could use.

> You'll need a good diplexer downstream of the dbm, not hard to do with
> 400 mhz IF.

This brings up another good point.  In some designs I see a diplexer,
in others not.  I used one in my two meter receiving converter but did not
in the 222Mhz rig.  Its mixer is terminated by a ERA-1 MMIC.   How
important is the diplexer?

> Hardest part is bandpass filtering at RF.  This is important to keep out
> other signals, particularly image frequency.  You choice of 400 mhz IF
> simplifies this, at the risk of giving you a problem if p3d is in mode
> L-U.

Another good point.  I hope to be able to use my two meter receiving
setup as the IF for the 2.4Ghz downconverter.  This would leave the
70cm rig free for the up link.

> Post diplexer gain is easy with the mmic's available, but again some
> bandpass filtering is a good idea.  (here's where the no-tune stuff
> shines . .)

Speaking of filters.  I like the interdigital ones that were in the
last issue of QEX.  They look like a good solution.  I'm using helical resonators
in the 222Mhz rig.  Trust me, they work great but are a real pain to build.
Next time I'll look closer at the mechanical considerations before
picking a filter design.

> For RF amp:  The modules which are available from RFParts (among others)
> are a good choice.  mw in to 3 watts (or so) out, and 1.5 watts in to 18
> watts (or so) out.  You have some excess drive here, so if you can come
> up with a good splitter, the 3 watt device can drive a pair of the 18
> watt modules for a fairly powerful signal.

I've used the hybrid modules in my 6M and 222Mhz transverters and they
have done a great job.  On 1.2Ghz cost is a consideration.  I can use the
10mW to 1.5 mW module as a driver, true.  But then the cost to get to
18 watts is about $180.   Maybe that's not too much :-) at this frequency.
On the VHF rigs I use a discree component "MMIC" designed by Zack
at the ARRL labs for a driver stage.  It gives me 100mW (up to 70cm)
from a MAV-11 MMIC driver.   What we need is something like that
running class AB to eliminate that costly first hybrid.

> For L-band up to p3d, I intend to use a single module at 18 watts,
> providing the rest of the ERP with antenna gain.  For my terrestrial
> system, I intend to drive a pair, to give me enough signal to help
> generate some activity.

Again, I was thinking along simular lines.  Except mounting the P.A.
at the antenna to beat the feedline losses.

> Hope this helps . . . anxious to hear what you decide and see your
> results if you get to the hardware before I do.

You will, I am hoping to get a open discussion going on this problem.
Maybe stimulate some tech talk on the reflector.