Medium vs Message

I was interested by the digital satellite thread last
week, and thought about it over the weekend...

There seem to be two issues here: one is whether or not
it's interesting to get bits to orbit and back. The
other is whether you can do anything interesting with
the capaility.

I submit that the former is not all that interesting,
unless you hack bits and protocols and stuff. This isn't
a failing of the system; it's just a system that works.

The latter is where the interest lies, methinks: now
that we can send bits, let's find something interesting
to do with them!

Laura Halliday VA3LDH   "Que les nuages soient notre
Grid: FN03gs                pied a terre..."
                                   - Hospital/Shafte