Re: sstv on mir

> <<  SSTV on over aurora Colorado 20:30 utc
pass of Mir.
>  Signal strength S1  normal here s9
>  Picture out of focus.
>   picture frame about 2/3 the normal size.
>   >>

> I noted the out of focus (just colors and lines
is all I got) and smaller
> frame size on the pass early this morning,
but didn't detect any less than
> normal signal strength.

This is just my theory, but I've come to the
conclusion that signal strength with the MIR
has allways seemed to be very variable
depending on the orientation of the MIR with
respect to the earth.  I have allways assumed
that this meant that the antenna is being
blocked by the spacecraft.  This can result in
the signal strength being strong during part of
the pass and weak for other parts of the pass or
for people located in one direction on the
ground getting greatly different signal strengths
than people in other locations.  This symptom
is often worse at times when they are docking
with other spacecraft since they may change
their orientation or the other spacecraft might
block the signal, etc.   Anyway, just an un-
educated opinion.

BTW (another guess), it also seems that the
out of focus condition seems to be at times
when the lighting conditions causes the camera
to focus on the window or on some reflection
rather than what is outside.  I have downloaded
a couple images where you could actually see
bubbles in the glass, but everything else was
out of focus.