Re: Kenwood Data Radio

On Sat, 20 Feb 1999, Bob Bruninga wrote:

> On Sat, 20 Feb 1999, GPersons wrote:
>
> > Gee, all i wanted to know was has anyone used the Kenwood THD7A to work the
> > digital birds. I have not receive a response from anybody.
>
> It works just fine in RECEIVE only at 9600 baud.  You must have at least a
> 7 dB gain antenna to be above threshold (a small 3 element beam).

Oops, that was a little unclear.  It will receive at either 9600 or 1200
baud.  And it will tansmit either.  But for the 9600 baud pacsats, the
built in TNC cannot go crossband, so you can only use it in receive-only
mode on those pacsats.  We have figured out a way to send messages to
users in receive only mode, but until it becomes popular, we are waiting
to see if it is worth the effort.

de WB4APR, Bob