Re: STUPID DIGITAL QUESTION

Mike,

> > Actually, I never stated that my only interest in digital satellites
> > was in simply sending messages back and forth to friends around the
> > world.  To the contrary, I tried to point out that digital satellites
> > don't just relay information -- they generate it.  Between earth imaging
> > cameras, radiation counters, and the results of the many scientific
> > experiments carried on-board these satellites, there's a wealth of
> > information available that's free for the asking.  And you can't get
> > that stuff on the Internet!  This is the very information that is used
> > to design new (and better) satellites.  It's important to our growth,
> > and we need more of it.
>
> You can get the images on the Internet.  I'll send you some fine URLs if you send me an
> out of band message.  Ever checked out the Microsoft Teraserver?

Been there, done that.  They are just static images.  Where was Microsoft's
Terraserver when UO-22 captured images showing the smoke plumes over Kuwait
during the Gulf War?  Where are the radiation measurements such as those
taken by UO-9 over Russia in the wake of the Chernobyl accident (before
we even knew there was an accident)?  How will the images on the Internet
generate interest in amateur radio to someone who's never been interested
in it before?  Where will the Internet be in future years when amateur
radio operators build and launch scientific probes (phase 5? satellites)
to the moon and nearby planets?  (Answer: Following OUR lead!)

> > I agree.  Then there shouldn't be any hard feelings if FO-29 should be
> > placed into Mode JD for a while, right?  :-)
>
> ummm, John, you're baiting me.  You already know my feelings on the ratio of digital to
> analog birds.  I find it unfortunate  they keep encountering bit errors while trying to
> switch to digital mode.  I am really looking forward to Digitalker mode.  Any bets on
> what the message will contain?

That's a question for the spacecraft controllers.

As far as the ratio of fully operational analog birds to operational
digital birds is concerned, consider that there is currently only one
fully operational 1200 baud PSK satellite on the air right now (AO-16),
and with the recent problems surrounding KO-23, and with UO-22 being
reserved for gateway operations, KO-25 is pretty much the only general
use 9600 baud satellite available right now, and it's under HEAVY use.

On the analog side we have AO-10, RS-12/13, RS-15, FO-20, AO-27, and
FO-29.  So even if we count UO-22 as a general use digital satellite,
and we discount AO-10 as an operational analog bird, the number of
analog satellites still beat the number of digital satellites.

> 73, and I miss talking to you on the analog birds.  Come out and play one of these
> nights, won't you!

If my work schedule permitted it, perhaps I would.  However, I find that
I accomplish much more in less time on the digital birds since I can
communicate with others asynchronously, regardless of my work schedule
and regardless of where they live in the world.  If my station were
automated, I wouldn't even have to be home to work these satellites.
Try doing that with analog satellites.  :-)

> Mike kf4fdj@amsat.org

73, de John, KD2BD

--
Internet  : kd2bd@amsat.org          |  Voice : +1.732.224.2948