RE: STUPID DIGITAL QUESTION

There is of course another issue other than communications, and that is
interest in satellites in general.

The digital satellites (along with many analogue sats) provide a great deal
of information on the space environment and satellite operations.
Interesting data depicting a 'day in the life of a satellite' is available
for anyone with an interest to download and view.  Many of the digital
satellites also carry Earth imaging systems and space science payloads (eg.
radiation data).

In addition, there can be quite a technical challenge in getting a station
working to receive these satellites.  When UO-14 was launched with the
9600bd links, there was no commercially available equipment at that time
capable of working with these satellites (without modification).  Many hams
these days may prefer to purchase a number of black boxes and plug them
together to receive the satellite, but where's the fun in that.  To set up
an 'automated' computer controlled groundstation working the digital
satellites can be a fun and challenging experience.

Sure, digital modes aren't for everyone, but there is a lot of interest out
there...  Yesterday UO-22 saw 169 stations accessing the BBS, and TMSAT had
133 accesses.

Cheers
Chris G7UPN / ZL2TPO

Chris Jackson