Coil Cores

I just ran out the top of a freq trimmer coil trying to get a receiver on
freq.  Even with the core out, I still have 2 KHz to go.  If I remember
correctly, a brass slug will raise the freq.  So I tried a brass screw,
and it worked but after gaining the 2 Khz, just a little more, and the
XTAL would drop out of oscillation.

Seems I also remember some coils with Aluminum cores.  So which is better
for raising the freq of a coil slightly?  Brass or Aluminum?  Any
difference in the Q?

bob