Re: SWR problem w/ KLM18C

Mike,

At what frequency are you reading the high SWR on? My experience with these
antennas is that they are rather narrow banded. The other question, where is
the antenna mounted when testing? Up and in the clear, or sitting on some
sawhorses, it does make a difference. Also, what about the feedline going to
the antenna, is that ok? Check it by placing a dummy load on the end, then
sweep a few KC off the center freq. to check SWR, this will also give you a
rough idea of the accuracy of your bridge.

About the switching unit, the 2m antenna is know for failures, but have not
heard much bad about the 70cm variant.

It should be a simple matter to put a test coax lead right onto the driven
element, bypassing the relay as a test.

If the SWR is low with the test harness, check all the hardware for corroded
connections-take them right off, clean and reinstall-don't just tighten.

73,

Bruce KG2IC

Bruce J. Howes KG2IC                  email: kg2ic@amsat.org
East Amherst, NY 14051                web: http://www.buffnet.net/~bhowes
AMSAT-NA Area Coordinator         ARMY MARS AAR2AJ