Use of Scanners for 432 Packet Work

Hi to all:

Some time back there were some thoughts on the BB about using scanners to
receive 432 MHz packet (or SSTV) signals. I wasn't concerned about that
at the time, but my son is taking an interest.

If someone could give me some ideas on how well scanners work for this
purpose, I'd appreciate it.

Thanx,
Doug
AB8CJ