Re: MIR SSTV

Aloha -

>Well, I guess the reason is very simple..
>
>In the dark there is no light  :))

:-) :-) :-)

love it!

>When MIR is in earth shadow, what is currently the case when it is over
>Europe, there will be indeed no sunlight.  The pixels we saw are probably
>stars or defects in the CCD sensor :)

CCD sensors in astronomy also have cosmic ray strikes recorded on them... I
was searching for comets in CCD images, and occasionally I'd have to delete
a frame due to a nice cosmic ray hitting a pixel..

Not THAT would be a fun experiment... how about covering the SSTV camera
with a black bag for a couple of orbits... monitoring the SSTV signal would
give (could give) an interesting measure of cosmic rays... likewise, a
control on earth (or a bunch - with whoever has the similar camera) and
possibly do check of Cosmic rays at different positions...

Would we see the South Atlantic Anomaly???

(OK, what we'd really notice is the lack of amateurs on SSTV in certain
parts of the world)

Just some thoughts? Any ideas -

cheers - ted - nh6yk