Re: FO20/FO29 antenna question

It has been my experience that linearly polarized antennas suffer no losses
on the Fuji birds. I am using veritcally polarized antennas on a cross
boom. Secondary advantage: I can use them for terrestial use on FM as well.
I have also noted little, if any, losses on AO-10. I certainly don't get
the "whoosh- whoosh" that some operators I hear are apparently getting. You
know, the ones that seem to be speaking in a halting fashion.....

At 10:14 AM 1/21/99 -0800, John Mock wrote:
>Just a couple questions to provide a break from the ongoing controversy...
>
>Eventually, i'll get on FO20/FO29.  Meanwhile, i'm thinking about antennas
>and keeping costs down.  I looked at the AMSAT pages on them, and followed
>a several of the links there.  But questions still remain.
>
>First, i need to check my memory here; are FO-20 and FO-29 actually using
>circularly polarized antennas for both uplink and downlink?
>
>Second, assuming that, would a horizontally polarized antenna work fairly
>well on FO-20 and/or FO-29?  How much gain would be required to make
>regular contacts at apogee and at perigee?
>
>			       -- KD6PAG
>----

          John Wilcox  NS1Z
               FN44rn