FO20/FO29 antenna question

Just a couple questions to provide a break from the ongoing controversy...

Eventually, i'll get on FO20/FO29.  Meanwhile, i'm thinking about antennas
and keeping costs down.  I looked at the AMSAT pages on them, and followed
a several of the links there.  But questions still remain.

First, i need to check my memory here; are FO-20 and FO-29 actually using
circularly polarized antennas for both uplink and downlink?

Second, assuming that, would a horizontally polarized antenna work fairly
well on FO-20 and/or FO-29?  How much gain would be required to make
regular contacts at apogee and at perigee?

			       -- KD6PAG