Re: Reminder: This is a hobby

> Reminder:  Ham Radio is a hobby.  It is supposed to be fun.  Something that
> I forget if I read too many doom and gloom editorials and too many flame
> wars.  There are some great people on the air and there are some really fun
> things to do, so do something fun, I'm going to!

Reminder:  Amateur Radio is a SERVICE -- something I forget when it is
trivialized to the level of a hobby by the media, the commercial radio
services, or even by some who hold Amateur Radio licenses.  The Amateur
Radio Service doesn't have to be fun unless pleasure is somehow obtained
through upholding its basis and purpose and engaging in activities such
as serving the public, contributing to the advancement of the radio art,
or enhancing international goodwill.

Operations that violate international agreements do not enhance goodwill
among nations.  They destroy it.  This isn't doom and gloom.  This is
reality.

If the Amateur Radio Service is mearly a "hobby", then why does it
monopolize spectrum worth billions of dollars?  Just so a small minority
of the population can have fun?  If so, then that's all the more reason
to have it taken away, sold the highest bidder, and put to "serious" use.

I can't speak for SAREX or the hard working volunteers who have designed
and built communication satellites for Amateur Radio use, but I have a
funny feeling that they have all worked their ASSES off in building the
Amateur Space Program up to where it is today.  I can't think of a greater
insult than trivializing their efforts and reducing what the Amateur Radio
Service has accomplished throughout its history and contributed to society
to the level of a "hobby".

73, de John, KD2BD

--
Internet  : kd2bd@amsat.org          |  Voice : +1.732.224.2948