Re: Is this the future of Amateur Radio?

> Have we all forgot what the basis for amateur radio is? ........
> ..........Is this the future of the hobby? Maybe
> there should be a section in the next edition of the Satellite
> Experimenter's Handbook on the politics involved with amateur satellite
> program!

I don't think this is as suggestion of things changing in the future, it is
just a situation of everyone seeing what has been going on behind
closed doors in the past.  In the past, whenever anyone became at all
critical of any phase of the amateur satellite program they would be
bombarded with private E-mail from AMSAT leaders, usually nasty and
obscene, suggesting strongly that you keep your mouth shut for the
good of AMSAT.  The simple politics are that for the few in power to
continue to have influence in the satellite community, they have to be
perceived as representing the entire amateur community even though
they don't, because no-one is going to help some small group of people
put up their own personal satellite.  Arguments in the amateur
community only make organizations that can help us wonder if they are
talking to the right people.  Ie the average amateur is better off having
the elete few have their power. Problem is now, however that instead of
just having AMSAT, all these little spur groups have popped up, SAREX,
MIREX, SAFEX, ARISS, etc, each wanting to be perceived as
representing the amateur community. Truth is that none of them,
including AMSAT represent us, but I think most hams think that if by
letting them do their thing they get us more sats, then fine. Myself, I
think I prefer anarchy. Ie I'd rather see people expressing their opinions
here (without being attacked in private mail) even if it makes us look dis-
organized.  I'd rather have open discussion and fewer sats than more
sats and censorship. Ie I kind of find it refreshing to see these power
struggles out in the open since it is the only way that the average ham
can feel involved in the issue even if it is just by sitting back and
watching.  Gives us a clear view of the motives involved here.