MAREX-NA; SAREX; to heck with it, I'm going back to 75 meters

On Tue, 19 Jan 1999 09:04:24 -0500, roy neal wrote:

>A WHITE PAPER TO ARISS ON:
>blah, blah, blah

With ALL DUE RESPECT to Mr. Mann and Mr. Neal:

Children, go to your corners and take a 30 minute time-out, and then we
can decide who gets to play with what toys.

A view from the perspective of the average ham about SSTV on 145.985:

SAREX, in the beginning, got me excited about ham radio again.  Real
life intervened for a while, and then MIR ops came along to get me
excited about ham radio again.  Real life has been intervening again
lately, but this SSTV thing was beginning to get me excited again.
Notice the "was".

What excited me about this?  It was something I could so with equipment
that I already had.  You guys sitting there in your ivory towers with
your kilobuck rigs that do auto doppler and keep your coffee warm may
not understand what it is like out here in the trenches.  I am
operating, for the most part, with older gear (some would say ancient).
 While I have transmit capability at the moment on all bands from 160
through 70 cm, the best I can do on 70 cm is an old HT with 12.5 KHz
steps.  It's not in the budget right now, and other commitments prevent
me from investing in newer equipment for the next  2 years, at least.
Therefore, ANY space ops on 70 cm are UNAVAILABLE to me.  I suspect
that a great majority of hams, especially outside of the USA, are in
similar positions.

I would hate for space ops to become an elitist art.  But worse, I
would hate to see this constant fighting between your groups turn off a
lot of hams.  To be blunt. you're not making me want to buy any new
equipment for 70 cm or higher.  In fact, if this continues, I'll
probably skip it.

On the other hand, this might be a good thing.  We can put all the
"good ole boys" on the satellites, and the rest of us can have 75
meters back....

To summarize, I don't give a rat's rear quarters (American expression)
who is right and who is wrong.  I guarantee that 20 years from now, I
won't remember either of your names.  What I care about is that there
is something in space that works, and that I can use without spending a
signifigant portion of a year's salary on new equipment.  -- WORK -- IT

- --
jshorn@binary.net
nu0c@amsat.org
NU0C