Re: Problem with ft-847 & fo-20/29

I have found, on the Fuji's, that circular polarization is not a
requirement. I use an old 18 element ATV antenna for 435 and a 14 el
Cushcraft FM antenna. I have also found that 25 watts +/- is adequate for
reliable operation. For me tracking is the big challenge since I don't have
automated pointing.

What I have found is that I need (read that NEED!!) a chart to tell me
where I should be received when I transmit at any particular frequency.
This helps immensely. I worked one up in Excel and keep it posted by the rig.

I also note that, on the Fuji's, tuning follows no set standard. Posted
convenetion is to tune the higher freq, which would be the receive on Fuji.
However, depending on who you work you may be required to tune either up or
downlink freq and sometimes both! Doppler is not the same for everyone is
the footprint of the birds and you often find a few on there who do let
themselves drift right onto another QSO in progress. I believe that is the
reason God created amplifiers.....

To me, it would make more sense to keep the received frequency fixed and
vary the uplink so that everyone in a roundtable could work each other
(assuming they are all not located in the same grid square!).

Opinions are like other parts of the anatomy; everyone has one and they are
usually ugly...

At 11:08 PM 1/18/99 -0500, Denny Jakubisin wrote:
>Slowly learning the intricacies of my new FT-847 but seem to have either
>missed something or have some sort of a problem. So far I have been
>unsuccessful at making a contact via FO-20 or 29.
>
>I do have the correct frequencies set up and have verified I am transmitting
>. The problem is that I have not been able to hear myself on the downlink on
>these two birds. I have ruled out a desense problem as I can still hear
>other stations while I transmit.
>
>Antennas consist of  a pair of homebrew yagis for 435MHz , 22 elements each
>on 14' booms, mounted and fed to give a right hand elliptical pattern. The
>144 MHz antenna is an M sq. CP-22.  All antennas are mounted on a fiberglass
>crossboom at 65' and fed with 1" 5/8 heliax and are separated by about 7'.
>I also use a 435MHz cavity filter on the downlink.
>
>I have made a few contacts on AO-27 and AO-10 so I know the radio and
>antennas are working.
>I can hear stations on FO-20 & 29, some are very strong but they don't hear
>me ---. I can't hear me either!
>
>What is the recommended power output needed to access these birds? I would
>think 50 watts plus the gain of my antennas should be more than adequate.
>
>Any suggestions from the masses?
>

>BTW, I apologize for any unintended qrm I may have caused over the past few
>days as I was trying to get this to work.
>

>73
>
>Denny  WB8K  ,, from not so rare EN-91
>

>----

          John Wilcox  NS1Z