Re: AO27

In a message dated 99-01-14 23:18:17 EST, jeffj@scott.net writes:

> How do you guys write down callsigns of
> stations that you haven't worked before?

Hi Jeff,

With a pencil.......but seriously, my portable station consists of an old
Yaesu FT-470 dual-bander, ARR 70 cm RF switched preamp, Diamond duplexer, and
Rad Shack 25 watt amp and, of course, the venerable Arrow. I have my Arrow
mounted on a camera tripod so that aiming and polarity switching is easy and
stable. I usually use a single ear headphone and hand mic. Logging is done by
hand on paper. I like the casette recorder idea, but being a VHF contest
operator, I am used to the sometimes frantic pace on AO-27 and can "multitask"
(log and talk) fairly well.

I think the biggest thing you can do to help yourself is to optimize your
receive system. Let's face it, you can't work'em if you can't hear'em. All
you'll end up doing is QRM'ing the bird or asking for numerous repeats of
callsign/grid square. You'll also find that with an optimized receive system,
you'll spend much less time fiddling with your antenna and more time working
stations. Also don't forget the all important "doppler correction" on receive.

73,
Mike, N1JEZ
AMSAT #29649
"A closed mouth gathers no feet."